Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

pics of entire house - gutters overflowing - need major advice

Old 10-04-10, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Last year i had a 3 pipe drainage system put in for 12000 bucks. 4 inch pvc. One pipe for exclusive use of all my downspouts, one pipe for exclusive use of the 3 yard drains, and one footer pipe with holes in it to catch the water at the bottom of the ditch all around the house.

You would think with all that, that a hurricane can hit and i'd be ok. nope, he dug up holes after a year of my complaining of water in the crawlspace, as if he didnt do a thing, and finally agreed his guys installed things wrong and thats why my crawl is still full of water. But he said even after he fixes the issues, that i have too much water in the gutters and they overflow and something needs to be done about that. But i havent met with him to discuss yet. So i wanted to do research here first.

aesthetics, i dont care about, i want gutters that dont overflow (much) and water taken away correctly. He did no work on the gutters themselves, just put the adapter into the ground using my existing spouts. so i know the gutters arent the best but i want to keep them in place and just possible add more downspouts. I cant think of anything else that can 'easily' be done here.

I dont know if there's some kind of engineer i can hire to make sure this will be done right this time or if this is the proper solution but i'm willing to do it, who would i even hire though? or do i even have a problem with the gutters etc? maybe the problem is one single 4 inch pvc pipe isnt designed to handle my entire roof and thats why they overflow?

i'm totally open to suggestions. The ironic thing is i just bought gutter guards to install this year but i guess i shouldnt until i know what's up here.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-10, 10:46 AM

Old 10-06-10, 07:34 AM
Great set of pictures to illustrate your problem. We cannot tell exactly where your problem lies, though. It can be a gutter that is too small, or too small a downspout, or poor runoff from the underground drain pipe. I suggest eliminating one thing at a time. Remove the downspout from the underground pipe and direct it away from the house with a downspout extension. If that makes no difference there with overflow, it is either too small a downspout or gutter. A simpler change would be to move to larger downspouts and avoid the extra visual clutter of more downspouts. You would need to enlarge the gutter hole for the larger downspout, too. Have you verified the gutters slope toward the downspout?

Old 10-06-10, 01:03 PM
the gutter to the right side of the oil tanks is definitely not sloped correctly. I had forgotten that i actually had a 2 x 4 under it propped up by a cinder block. Maybe i can try that again, push it up, before any permanent corrective action is taken. I just wish there was a formula that i could use to figure out roof size vs gutter size and spouts lol. But i really cant buy new gutters, just would be too much.

the front of the house is definitely sloped towards the 'central' downspout, the first pic in this thread exemplifies where it's running over.

the rear roof valley (3 pane window that has a hole dug up under it) is also sloped correctly as it all pounds around the corner and against the house. Thats why i thought, though it would look stupid, maybe add a spout to the higher end of the gutter. maybe a larger spout would solve it though.

I wish i could get only a downspout thats larger but i guess it has to fit into the assemblies correctly so i need the other pieces too. I never did gutter work but cant be too hard, right? I can always just try the worst overflow first and if that fixes it, can move on to the others.

i like the idea of temporarily running the water away from the underground system to see if the pipe is big enough. ill have to see what kind of extension i can rig up over the weekend. and hope it continues to rain and we dont get into another drought. And i dont know what ill do if the underground 4 inch pipe isnt enough to take away all this water..that involves virtually impossible work.

edit: i see lowes does carry 3x4 so thats good..7 bucks for the drop, 11 for the spout, and 3 bucks for the elbows. For a temporary extension am i stuck with buying another 10ft pipe to run away from the house? i cant think of anything else to do.

Last edited by luckydriver; 10-06-10 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-07-10, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
On the run away from the tanks, just install a downspout on that end and run the water away from the foundation.
As far as all the holes this guy dug, where does this water go? Into dry wells? Into a storm drain?
Get some solid black corrugated pipe and adapters so you can attach them to the ends of the existing downspouts. That will get the water away so you can tell what is happening with your drainage system.
You won't be able to add downspouts to the main run as the slope will prevent any water from going there. It should have had two downspouts and sloping towards the ends to begin with. The one downspout is probably being inundated with too much water from the entire run.

Old 10-07-10, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
On the run away from the tanks, just install a downspout on that end and run the water away from the foundation. .
I'm assuming you mean the spot all the way to the right.. where my deicing cable is hanging down? I thought that would be a good idea both as a temporary test then if it works, to pipe it into my undergroud drain..assuming the 4 inch can handle that of course, which is my real question i cannot find an answer to.

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
As far as all the holes this guy dug, where does this water go? Into dry wells? Into a storm drain?
Get some solid black corrugated pipe and adapters so you can attach them to the ends of the existing downspouts. That will get the water away so you can tell what is happening with your drainage system.
You won't be able to add downspouts to the main run as the slope will prevent any water from going there. It should have had two downspouts and sloping towards the ends to begin with. The one downspout is probably being inundated with too much water from the entire run.
all 3 sources of water (spouts, yard drain, footer drain) go completely around my house -trench was dug to the footer and covered in stone), down my front embankment and exit near the natural valley between our yards, the pipes are angle cut so i can run my mower over them

agreed that in the front yard there is a problem with just one spout, but if it's really backing up, wouldnt putting a spout near my front porch help a bit? (i'm assuming water is backed up the entire length of the gutter during a rain). That way water would be entering my drain pipe at 2 points. I guess putting 3x4 on that existing center drop will be a real test though since it's double the size it should provide double the drainage you can clearly see that that part of the L at the porch is slumping and the water coming off that valley is a lot even though there's the splash guard. i was thinking even if that end had a spout solely just for that corner that it takes some of the load off the center pipe. I guess i want to overbuild because i'm tired of the problem. lol

Old 10-08-10, 11:42 AM
before my weekend project i was doing some research and found this calculator if anyone is interested

Gutter Sizing Calculator - Roof Drainage Calculations

i dont have any measurements here at work but it looked like a pretty handy thing to calculate the size gutters and spouts

Old 10-19-10, 09:44 AM
UPDATE:

When i had my drainage project done, the guy also told me he cleaned out my gutters, it wasnt like it was truly part of the project or price, more of 'let me do this for you.'

well i think i found my problem. all my roof shingles are in the gutters in little pellet form also many leaves. Admittedly i could have done better over the years but now that i've done it, i feel better. the long run in the front of my house now has a 3x4 drop and 3x4 spout and i have to order the adapter for the PVC connection though.

Then the rear short gutter above my kitchen was very clogged as was the downspout over my oil tanks. The oil tank gutter is still sloped imperfectly but i think the clog was a lot of the problem so my house is 80% gutterguarded and i have to recommend those 2 dollar once from lowes. very EZ to install and cut to form

i had a challenge of some roof heater wire i had installed but worked around it. just am paranoid about ice dams since i had one 16 years ago but never since lol

so now i'm hoping for a hard rain while i'm home one day to see how the new guards and clean gutters do. I'm still suspect of the short gutter near my kitchen because of the massive valley, but only time will tell how good i did