Roof Cost Estimate

Old 12-14-00, 05:24 AM
Visiting Guest
What determines the cost of replacing a roof? I would hate to have 10 different roofers come to my house to give me an estimate.

Old 12-14-00, 08:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I'm not a roofing contractor, but you need to let the bidders know a couple of things up front, so that you're comparing apples to apples.
First, shop for and select the exact shingle that you plan to use.
Secondly, decide if you want to shingle over the old shingles, or tear-off and just have one layer. I would do the latter (roofing will last longer) because the first also may void any warranty, although some people choose to do it (less expensive).
Cost is determined like any other pro trade:
A. Cost of materials selected by homeowner (Let contractor buy it. Won't cost you anymore.).
B. Cost of labor, i.e. degree of difficulty of job (roof pitch, number of stories, gables, etc.).
To re-shingle a standard brick ranch single-story home here in Northeastern NC runs about $75 per square for a tear-off and 20-year shingle.
A roofing square is 10' X 10'= 100 square feet. Let the pros do the roof measuring and allow a couple of extra squares of shingles for normal trim and waste.
Depends on where you live whether you should be roofing this time of year.
Good Luck!

Old 12-14-00, 02:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Guy was pretty much right just a couple of more things.
If you can walk the roof, 3/12, 4/12, and some 5/12 pitches,
figure $80.00 a square, plus $tearoff and hauling away. IF you need roof jacks, add $25.00 a square, if scaffolding add, $50.00 a square. Use 30# felt. Nail the shingles, no staples. It will take at least 1 extra square for the ridge. Depending how much ridge you have, it may take more.
New drip guard also on the edges, and new tin in your valleys. If you have several bids, and you get someone alot less ($25.00) then the others, do not use them. Have them give you a price per square, and tell everyone the same thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: