How can I clean out the rain gutter?

Old 12-14-00, 12:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Does anyone have any ideas for how I can clean out my rain gutter in the back of my townhouse? It is up so high that I cannot reach it with a 10 ft. ladder, and I can't get on top of the house. I purchased a device from one of these online stores that sprays water into the gutter at high speed (hoping that would force the dirt and other debris out of the gutter). However, that did not do the trick. Some dirt came out, but it looks like there's so much dirt up there that plants are actually growing in the gutter.

Any other ideas on how I can clean out this gutter myself without spending a lot of money? Thanks much, Peg

Old 12-14-00, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

peg,
Unfortunately, SOMEONE is going to have to get up there and hand-clean that gutter out, if it's that bad, and THEN flush it out with that sprayer you bought.
Just borrow an extension ladder. Some people make homemade scoops that fit gutters from old plastic milk bottles that help clean them out faster.
Any teenagers in your neighborhood?
OR, you may be able to rig up a water hose connected to a "shepherd's crook" of pvc pipe, rigid (3/4" Schedule 40 might do) and long enough, to reach just over the gutter from the ground, and wash it all out. (And you'll need a good waterproof poncho or raincoat and hood. THAT will be a mess.)
In any case, Good Luck!

Old 12-14-00, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Guy is right, get a longer ladder.

Old 12-14-00, 04:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink Rain Gutter Cleaning

Thanks so much to both of you. It never occurred to me that I could possibly rent an extension ladder from Home Depot or Lowe's. I may have a little difficulty getting it home in my Honda CRV, but I can try. Thanks for helping with this! I really appreciate it, especially since "money is not growing on any trees" around here!

Old 12-15-00, 04:52 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not sure a big box store is the place to go to rent tools. Not aware of any that do it. United Rentals, of any local rental yard would be a better place to look. As far as transporting it, doesn't a friend, relative, or a neighbor have a pick-up?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: