Cutting and patching downspout holes

Old 10-14-10, 02:01 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cutting and patching downspout holes

I'm changing the slope direction of several runs of seamless gutter on my house. Does anyone have tips or recommendations for:
1) removing the gutter outlets (they appear to be very well installed with heavy caulk)
2) whether I should reuse them at the other end or buy new ones
3) patching the hole - I was thinking of cutting a patch from leftover downspout pieces, screwing it in, and caulking, but is it better to find a flat (not 'patterned', like downspout) piece of aluminum?
4) cutting and installing the outlet at the other end - I've heard a chisel can be a good way to go.

Thanks!

Old 10-14-10, 02:07 PM
How are your gutters attached? I have used 5 inch spikes and removing those is not that easy and will tear up the gutter. Thats what I would look into first. As for the downspounts, they are not too pricy and I would say just to replaced them. Hope this helps.

Old 10-14-10, 03:02 PM
W
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed the slope of my gutters several years ago. I was lucky in that I had the newer screw drive hangers. I used a drill and tin snips to cut out the opening for the downspout.

Old 10-15-10, 06:10 AM
L
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i just replaced one of my drops and can tell you that lowes had the 3x4 drop for 7 bucks plus i think a buck for the 2 connector pieces. i upgraded to a 3x4 downspout and that was 11 bucks. standard 2x3 is cheaper than that so depending how bad the holes are, it shouldnt break your bank for a new stuff all around.

ripping out the old drop was a PITA but i just used pliers to unbind the connectors from the top and just pulled and twisted until it came off. though since mine was leaking, i probably had an advantage over your well caulked ones. I guess u could use a carefully guided reciprocating saw but that seems a tad overkill

Old 10-15-10, 10:59 AM
M
Wayne, how did you go about patching the old hole? As I described, or is there a better way?

Otown, the gutters are already down - they have pretty nice hangers that wrap the entire circumference of the gutter, hooking together with a narrow tab, and hammered into the roof under a shingle with just a 1-inch or so nail.

I think I'll try and reuse the outlets unless I bend them all out of whack while removing - but good to know they're not too expensive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: