water damage

Old 12-15-00, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Help! We live in Chicago and just had over a foot of snow. We live in a townhome with a slanted or pitched roof. I have heard this style home referred to as a "mansard" style. We have lived here over 25 years and lived through record breaking snowfalls (including 1979 when we received 23 inches) and many since that time. We never had any inside water damage.

Then three years ago after a heavy snowfall, water began running in through the windows and down the walls. All the walls and ceilings had to be replaced due to the water damage. The following year was very mild as far as snow but now we are once again dealing with water running down through the windows. My husband spent all day on a tall ladder knocking down as much of the snow as he could. The water finally stopped coming in. We are expecting more snow tonight

The townhome association claims it is not their problem or fault. They replaced the roof possibly 4-5 yrs ago. They also replaced windows. We NEVER get water after heavy rain
falls.

Can you possibly tell us what the problem is and what we should do to resolve this problem. This has become a very stressful situation to us as we wake up in the night checking constantly for water damage. Thank you.

Old 12-15-00, 04:24 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The homeowners assn. had the roof replaced 4 or 5 years ago, and the leaks started a year or two after that? Would sure seem like a roof problem, and that would certainly be a problem the assn. is reponsible for. Hopefully you have been complaining to them since this leak problem started. Guess it's time to start complaining louder. I'm sure that if you can't complain loud enough to get their attention, an attorney could.

Old 12-16-00, 11:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is a guess on my part, but it sounds like when they re-roofed, they did not put the ice dam on the roof. Ice dam is a ruberized layer like felt, and goes from the edge of the roof up 3 feet. It keeps ice and snow from going up underneath the shingles. In may parts of the country it is code for new roof jobs. I am only about 500 miles from you straight west, and it is code here. It definetly sounds like a roofing problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: