New Roof wrong color drip edge replacement hard??

Old 10-18-10, 04:10 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Roof wrong color drip edge replacement hard??

I had a new roof installed and they were supposed to put brown drip edge all the way around the perimeter of house. Well they put the drip edge all the way around but it was shiny galvinized. The problem is it is on a brown cedar house and sticks out like a sore thumb. Question is the roofer is coming back tomorrow to look at and fix another issues. Can this be replaced without damaging the roof, it goes about 2 inches under singles or could this be painted. What would be the best way to resolve? Something needs to be done.

Thanks

Old 10-18-10, 05:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
You could use a galvanized metal primer and then paint it...... but see what your roofer has to say - I'm just a painter

Old 10-18-10, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I painted mine when we changed trim color. Wiped it down with paint thinner, used beer cartons taped in sections as a mask to protect the trim and painted it with Rustoleum that matched my skylites and windows. Didn't prime (sorry mark), but it's held up for 3 yrs just fine.

I think replacing it would be very expensive at this point and probably damage the shingles to some extent. I'd talk to the roofer, see what he will do moneywise...or talk to a painter and get the roofer to pay if you don't want to or can't do it yourself. Did you have a written contract?

Old 10-19-10, 05:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Sounds like consuming a lot of beer would be required for that job, Vic

I think this would be fine but I would use the proper primer under the paint

Old 10-19-10, 06:03 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, we did have a contract. When I talked to roofing after getting home and telling him about the mess up he said they could replace but would be time consuming and a pain in the butt. Problem I have is the drip edge goes about 2 1/2 inches under the singles and it could do more harm then good by messing up the edge singles. I have look online about painting galvinized and most don't reccomend, but from what I am hearing here is if you prep it right might last a couple years. Anymore suggestions would be helpful meeting the roofer after work today to decide.

Old 10-19-10, 12:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
Paint holds up well on galvanized metal if the metal has weathered some. A primer formulated for galvanize helps when you can't take the time to let it weather. Also sometimes galvanized metal has an oily film on it from manufacturing or shipping - if it's oily, be sure to clean it first!

Old 10-19-10, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah...we used to paint new galvanized all the time after cleaning...of course we were able to use Zinc Chromate primer...that's prob not even available anymore. Even heavy galvanized stuff didn't stand up to conditions at sea if it wasn't painted or washed with fresh water regularly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: