is a T&G roof common?

Old 10-25-10, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is a T&G roof common?

As i was pulling up floorboards to insulate the attic, i just happened to look up and noticed it appears the same wood used to floor the attic was used to roof it. I just never studied my roof in all the years i've been here because i really dont know a thing about them. So is a T/G roof common or did these people 'customize' the house like they did in some other areas.

the ad for the house said new roof in 1991 and that was confirmed by neighbors when i talked to them. I dont know if there is plywood on top of the tongue and groove but wouldnt it be very difficult just to take off the old shingles while leaving the T/G intact?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-10, 10:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Before plywood, most homes used T&G instead. How old is your home?

As long as the decking [plywood or T&G] doesn't have any damage there isn't any reason to replace it when new shingles are installed.

Old 10-25-10, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1952. Ok cool, good to know it was done right. thanks for roofing 101, i learn something new every day and except for some obviously ancient leak stains - probably the reason for the 1991 roof - my untrained eye cant spot a thing wrong with it. certainly no obvious leaking etc.

Old 10-25-10, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Roof, attic and wall sheathing was sometimes shiplap 1x6 or 1x8. Shiplap is not exactly tongue and groove, it's more of a half-lap rabbet joint. Course it could be t&g... I can't see it from here. lol