Trying to locate plastic miter strip

Old 10-27-10, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to locate plastic miter strip

Hi.
I have some leaks in the mitered corners of my gutters. The mitered corners consists of a 2 part plastic miter strip that sandwiches the two mitered gutter ends. Silicone is applied in the sandwich, then screws tighten the two plastic pieces together.
I have been to all my local home improvement stores and no one carries this type of miter strip. The ones that I have found are made of metal and are riveted to the gutter ends. I'm trying to locate the plastic ones so that it will match the rest of my house.
Does anyone know of a supplier in the Vancouver, BC area or online? Here are a few pics. I hope my upload works.

Thanks for any info.
BoarderM

Last edited by BoarderM; 10-27-10 at 04:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-10, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
Yeah, I don't think you'll find that, it's an old obsolete part. *If* you could find the area contractor who did the work, he might have a few spares laying around but even that would be a long-shot. He probably used the last one long ago. I've never seen such a gutter in all my life. You would probably start looking at the seamless companies.

Your best bet will probably be to leave the plastic corner alone and instead seal the gutter from the inside. Clean off any old caulk with a long retractable knife, then clean the inside of the miter edges with some denatured alcohol, getting it as clean as you can. Then buy some gutter sealant and smear away. If you can't get the gun into all the corners you will have to put some sealant on a stick and then spread the sealant with the stick.

Geocel Water shield is also a good product that I have used to stop leaks in gutters. It's like a runny paste and you can brush it on with a paint brush.