Chimney water leak

Old 12-16-00, 10:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I just bought a condo(4 years old) with a gas fire-place that leaks water when it rains hard/long. After the first leak episode, the condo association's maintenence people had someone caulk around the chimney flashing. This seemed to take care of the problem(?)....for six weeks!

We just had an ice-storm followed by a lot of rain and it is now leaking more than ever, soaking the carpet and staining the basement ceiling. I don't think it's the ice dam problem I've read about on this board becouse it has continued to leak badly after the ice all melted.

Can any one suggest what the problem could be and how to fix it?

Old 12-17-00, 05:33 AM
Visiting Guest
chimmney leaks

you should try to get the maintainance men to check the flashing very carefuly.It may have cracked and after they caulked it it as fine but the ice got in the crack and opened it up again.I would if i were doing it myself probably tear out the old flashing and start over with new.Also check the chimmney cap cover Hope this helps

Old 12-20-00, 07:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Another issue to consider is the type of flashing behind (at the upslope side of) the chimney. A "cricket" or a "backer" flashing is used to make this transition watertight. A cricket is a triangular shaped piece of metal or other material that diverts water around the chimney -- it also allows less ice and snow to set behind the chimney. A backer flashing is simply a sheet metal flashing or ice dam membrane installed under the shingles behind the chimney.

If the chimney is located on the ridge, neither a cricket or backer flashing is needed. A cricket typically should be used when ever the chimney is more than 24 inches in width at the backside or when the chimney is located near the eave. If it is located below but near the ridge, or if it is very narrow, a backer flashing will typically perform adequately.

Large-width chimneys have the potential to trap alot of snow and ice. Near-eave chimneys create a wall that can allow a large volume of water to wash against. In these situations, cricket flashings are best.

[Edited by DF on 12-20-00 at 10:57]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: