Downspout Drainage Options

Old 11-08-10, 08:43 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Downspout Drainage Options

After a fairly substantial exterior renovation, I will be having gutters installed. I would like to redirect the run-off to the street stormwater drain or directly to the creek in the backyard (where the stormwater drain leads to). The house is located at the end of a cul-de-sac on a substantial hill. The front lawn slopes down to street level while the back yard slopes (actually, a 8' drop off in some spots) to a small creek about 450' from the rear of the house. The house is 65'lx30'w. While the water does a good job of draining naturally, I have a large planting bed in the front yard adjoining the house that cannot handle the volume of water.

For the front of the house my plan , which I would appreciate some constructive input, would be to connect the downspouts to 4" HDPE all y-ed together and run down to a rock feature that drains to the stormwater drain in front. There is a sloped asphalt curb that the water would have to drain down. A more attractive way to drain the water would be great. In the rear, I would do the same but drain directly above the creek. I have broken up the front/rear in my head because installation would be easier. I have looked at storing some water in an underground tank and installing a drip system but that is a longer-term project.

The excavation and installation I can handle but I have no experience with stormwater management. What environmental effects do I need to consider? Permits required for this type of stormwater redirection? I'd appreciate any other suggestions/caveats.

Old 11-08-10, 04:39 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Since the slopes are already going in the direction you want, the job is easy. Use the pipe you mentioned. I can't picture the asphalt curb but you should be able to run everything under ground.

Old 11-12-10, 09:50 AM
N

I spent the morning cleaning the drain after taking a picture yesterday, probably shoveled 5 yds of dirt and grass out of there.. anywho..

I've thought about using a pop-up emitter to tidy up the drain area but I'm concerned about washout right by the curb. Any other suggestions on the discharge area? As a side note, the road and curb are likely to be replaced in the next 18 mo so I'd rather not be breaking up the curb to discharge on the street.

Old 11-12-10, 04:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Install a drywell about 5 feet before the curb.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: