How to choose a roofer and what to ask?

Old 11-12-10, 06:15 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to choose a roofer and what to ask?

I am getting ready to have the roof on my house replaced due to hail damage. I am going to start getting bids. I have a pretty good idea of what to ask but would like any advise that you all may have for me to know to ask or look for when selecting a contractor. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-10, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Here's some reading until the Pro's come around. It may help you generate some specific questions. I'll see what else I can find....
http://forum.doityourself.com/roofin...ontractor.html
http://forum.doityourself.com/roofin...ow-choose.html

Old 11-12-10, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Similar info....I'm not reading all the way through...
http://forum.doityourself.com/roofin...epair-job.html

Old 11-12-10, 07:59 AM
R
Make sure license and insured ( I always give my customers copies). Call BBB look for complaints. Call building dept. and ask if had problems. References, although their not going to give a bad one, it shows they are local and you can see the quality they are capable of. Make sure there are no surprises with rotten wood costs by having them put in contract how many sheets plywood included and cost for additional. Walk around your house and poke at the fascia to see if it is rotten anywhere and make sure they know about it and include it if needed. Make sure gutters, if removed will go back in same condition. Make them roll a magnet around the house and all the bushes to get all the nails from the tear off, you dont want nails in your feet or the lawn mower tires.

Old 11-12-10, 08:35 AM
N
If I may add to the previous post, ensure that ALL proper flashing is included in the bid and the roofer is competent. I've found that in my area many are so used to throwing up houses that they don't take the time to do proper flashing and waterproofing, especially kick-outs and chimney surrounds. I'm certainly not a roofer but a quick inspection of your roof and a some time researching online will help you make a sound decision. I had a roof replaced about 5 years ago and did not go with the cheapest bid. A well-reputable contractor will spend the time with you to explain what needs to be done (and how), rather than what you may want. I had the best luck contacting the building dept. and asking about specific contractors. They may not be able to refer you but they can give you information about the contractors you have in mind.

Old 11-12-10, 08:42 AM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Roofers

Look for recent re-roofing projects in your neighborhood and ask the home owners their opinions about their contractors. Word of mouth is the best reference.