sealing roof nails?

Old 11-12-10, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sealing roof nails?

I got a small water mark in my ceiling. Had two roofers come over and inspected. One guy had no clue and wanted to replace the entire ridge.
another guy said that he only needed the seal three nails that were not installed properly. but he needed to charge $250.00 for sealing 3 nails.
I'm thinking of doing myself.
but how do you seal the nails? do you just go and buy roof sealant from home depot and use chaulking gun to do it?

I would appreciate any pointers.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-10, 10:22 AM
If you can find the nails then you should use a good polyeuethane caulk like NP1 or QUAD. Dont use black jack or tar because they crack. If nails are loose then pull them out first. If you are talking about an aluminum ridge vent which has the exposed nails over the entire length, then do them all and make sure the seems are lapped properly. I would have done it for lunch money and hoped to get the whole roof down the road when your ready because of it, or a referal to a neighbor.

Old 11-12-10, 11:28 AM
thanks very much for your pointer

Old 11-12-10, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by rdessewffy View Post
If you can find the nails then you should use a good polyeuethane caulk like NP1 or QUAD. Dont use black jack or tar because they crack. If nails are loose then pull them out first. If you are talking about an aluminum ridge vent which has the exposed nails over the entire length, then do them all and make sure the seems are lapped properly. I would have done it for lunch money and hoped to get the whole roof down the road when your ready because of it, or a referal to a neighbor.
A guy that knows how to do business! I would pay more than lunch money, it's worth it to me just to keep from dragging out the ladder, climbing on the roof etc., but the guy that wanted $250 would never, ever see any work from me.