Reshingling over existing

Old 11-21-10, 06:31 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reshingling over existing

I am reshingling over existing shingles. what do i need to do around roof vents and pipe vents to ensure proper seal.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-10, 02:20 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove old vents and get new ones. When you pull the old vents you will have a low spot where they were, so build it up with scraps of shingles. If your pluming stacks are lead, you can just cut them flush with a hook blade. Make sure when inslalling new vents the first shingle goes under the vent 4 to 6 inches from the bottom of the flange, then the rest go on top.Make sure if you are in a hurricane prone area (southeast) you tar wherever code states. I will assume you are going over a 3 tab shingle, with a 3 tab shingle? Cut the second course tabs of existing roof back all the way around the house so the first new shingle doesnt lay on top of it,then butt all the other shingles top edge to the bottom edge of the existing as long as it is strait. Your first course will be a little short, but if you do it this way the whole roof will look allot flatter than if you dont. If you are going over 3 tab with an architectural shingle, you wont be able to do this because they are a different size exposure than the 3 tab. In that case you will see a built up horizontal line every 6 or 7 feet going up the roof and it looks like crap.Dont roof over the existing cap matterial-Take it off ! It will look very bad if you dont.