Flat roof help

Old 11-23-10, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flat roof help

I just bought a home with a flat roof, asphalt rolled and looks like it was maybe torch applied, I don't know that much about roofing, and it leaked at one time, looks like the previous owners had someone patch it in 3 places, and it looks a little thinker on some of the seams around the patch areas, it doesn't look like it leaks now and the rolled roof material looks in pretty good shape, not real old so would it help to buy some of the patch tar in a 5 gallon bucket and paint the seams? I have noticed that some of the edges are not secured or tared to the actual wood roof so that needs to be done for sure, just need to know what to do for longevity.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-10, 05:42 AM
If it is torch then DO NOT put tar on it, it will eat through the rubber over time and ruin the roof. You can tell if its torched by looking at the seems, if there is bleed out from heating. I see you are in fla., we also use a peel and stick for these roofs , but there wont be any bleed and you can use tar on that. It may also be a hot mop, and you will see bleed, but the bleed cracks, where the torch bleed does not. Use a modified adhesive and membrane to patch . If it aint broke, dont fix it. If you put pics I can better tell you what to do.For the unsecured edges use a good polyeurethane caulk like NP1 or QUAD (but not clear)

Old 11-28-10, 04:39 PM
I can't see how to attach an pic., I took several shots with my dig. camera, do you know how to attach?

Old 11-28-10, 07:40 PM
Old 11-29-10, 03:49 AM
Looks to me like peel and stick, because the seems have no bleed.The reason they tared all the end laps is because this product is not sticky enough to adhere over the granules. There is a small torch used for that purpose and maybe they didnt know about it . what is done appears to be ok , they sprinkled granules on the exposed tar, which tells me a previous homeowner didnt do that and it was not a patch, but done when the roof was installed. As far as the edge pulling up, caulk under it without pulling it up and stretching it, then set a brick or something on top until it cures. They probably didnt prime the drip edge before they put the roof on.

Old 11-29-10, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the advise...these are patches as the roof leaked in many areas ruining the ceiling inside with some pretty big holes and we want to make sure the roof is not going to leak more before repairing the ceiling, right now it does not appear to leak and I was wondering if I could do anything to assist in keeping it from leaking in the future, the asphalt material is of fair thickness and in good shape, is there anything that should be done to help the seams?