Moisture inside house...

Old 11-29-10, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moisture inside house...

Hello, we moved into our home about a year ago. There was an extension added to it about a decade ago that sits on a concrete slab (there is a ventilation window on the base to remove any moisture) with cathedral ceilings. The eastward facing wall has almost all of it taken up by three windows that open and close along with a fancy glass frame towards the top.

We noticed that whenever it rains there's a funny odor coming from only that part of the home. We pulled up the carpet in the room and noticed that there was moisture on two corners and some moisture in the middle. This is all along the wall where those three windows are.

Looking at it from the outside, I noticed that there was a some rotting along the frame of the window. We had a construction professional come check it out and his moisture meter (looked like a giant syringe) confirmed that there was definintely moisture where we suspected there was. He thinks that the rotting along the edge of the window frame is playing a role with the problem and thinks that water, when it's raining, is seeping into, what he called the "MOY-LIN" (I know I didn't spell that right, but that's how the word is spelled phonetically.)

He wants to open up the MOY-LIN and some strips of aluminum siding too in order to confirm his suspecision. This is going to cost a lot of money, and my question is as follows:

Can't I just put caulking or something where the rotting is along the MOY-LIN to seal it up and just fix it that way?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-10, 05:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You can "do it" or you can "do it right"...your choice. If you have rotting wood, it MUST be removed and replaced with either wood or newer vinyl replacement parts. Throwing caulk at it won't stop the water infiltration. Pulling the siding off will take less than an hour, as well as replacing it. If he is worth his salt, he won't remove the nails holding the siding, but will unclip the siding from the nail heads. That way he will have the same "set" of the siding when he goes to replace it. Making repairs to the window will depend on how bad they are eaten up and what type sealant was used, if any, around the perimeter. Sight unseen, he will pull the siding, remove damaged wood, replace it, use sticky seal around the window, flash the top and replace the siding. Day job.