Options to plug an Attic Vent Fan no longer in use

Old 11-29-10, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Options to plug an Attic Vent Fan no longer in use

I bought my house a few months ago. After a hurricane the roof was replaced and ridge vents were installed. The old attic vent fan was left in, but no longer works. Researching on the internet, it look like the air flow from the vent fan could be hindering the ridge vents efficiency.

Since it would be a lot of trouble to remove the fan and patch the roof, I was think of plugging the vent with something. Piece of styrofoam, rubber stopper, etc. I wasn't sure if I was missing a better option. The opening is about 8in across.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-10, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 211 Posts
I'd get up in the attic and put a big plywood patch over the hole and glue it to the bottom of the sheathing between the rafters. If you use fasteners, be sure they are the correct length so that they don't penetrate the roof! For example, if you have 1/2" roof sheathing, and you use 3/4" plywood to patch over the hole, you could use a 1 1/4" screw.

Old 11-29-10, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You may not need to plug it at all. Is this a gable fan or a roof fan? I'd guess gable since the roof was replaced.

I'll try and find the very informative site I used to have (before a PC failure). They disputed the fact that gable vents interfered with ridge vent operation. In fact..they stated that in some conditions they helped.

Big issue is if you have enough soffit venting and are they clear of obstructions?