Hip style roof, do I need to shovel the snow off?

Old 12-01-10, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hip style roof, do I need to shovel the snow off?

We just purchased a 6 year old house in Maine. It has a hip style roof, it is a two story house as well with a 1 story connected garage. I've been in the attic of the garage and it has many trusses that go up and down and at an angle. I am assuming our house attic is the same but have not been up there (no access port, yet.).

I am wondering if it is safe to leave the snow on the roof during the winter season?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-10, 07:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
There is no reason to remove the snow and you could possibility damage your shingles doing so. A 6 year old house would have been built to handle the snow load in your area. Unless you start getting ice dams (which I also doubt with a 6 year old house) there is no reason to remove the snow.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 12-01-10 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-01-10, 07:14 AM
even with ice dams id sooner pay for heat tape than climb on the roof

or hook up the hose to your washers hot water and get out there and go and wash your roof...i did that the 1st year i lived in my house..fun it was. but with water leaking in the bedroom had no other choice. put up heat tape the following year and no issues ever since.

Old 12-13-10, 09:31 AM
I have a "scraper" (?) I bought years ago, that's like a plow that you pull toward you. It has wheels on it so it rolls on the shingles, and extension poles that snap together for length. Wouldn't be any good for a 2 story house, though!