Put a roof over another roof?

Old 12-02-10, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Put a roof over another roof?

This isn't a DIY question. My house has a simple A frame type roof. No dormers. There is a finished attic running the length of the house that is A shaped. There is no insulation between the attic ceiling and the roof. The distance between the inside ceiling and the outside roof surface is eight inches, if that.
What I am wondering: with or without removing the roof shingles, could a roof be built over the current roof with insulation between the two roofs? Would it help?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-10, 06:26 PM
Temporarily Suspended
At one time, one roof was installed over another roof but not for insulation reasons. These days, it's not recommended for any reason. I'm not a fan of blow-in insulation but if you really want to insulate, without disturbing the finished attic, that would be the way to do it.

Old 12-02-10, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
It sounds like you have a cape code house like myself. It sounds like you are asking about insulation. Are you sure there is no insulation? Why did it get shhetrocked without putting up insulation? If this is the case here is what I would suggest.

1) Get a price to have insulation blown in. Small hole in the sheetrock for each rafter, Spakle and paint. Done.
2)If you need a new roof then you can do this. I will use me as an example. When they took my shingles off too many pieces of plywood were damaged. (back in 50's very thin wood) so I had them replace all the plywood with 3/4 inch. While they had all the wood of all the rafters were exposed and I properly insulated. Done. New roof in 2000 for a 1050 square foot cape was $4000.
3) Take down sheetrock and insulate and resheetrock.
4) Why would you possibly build a roof over a roof. Does not make sense when you have other options.

Mike NJ

Old 12-08-10, 07:26 PM
It would cost more to frame it,sheath it and shingle it than it would to just pull the sheetrock and insulate. Not to mention all that extra weight on the structure itself.
I would do blow in or gut the attic and re rock it.