ice dams and roof cable

Old 12-21-00, 02:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We recently moved into an older home that has a history of ice build-up and roof leakage. After a early morning leak from the bedroom ceiling, I cleared off all the snow and ice from the roof and installed some roof heat cable. I live in Northern Minnesota,so I know I have many months of snow and ice to come this year. My question is, how long should I have the cable plugged in? I don't know if I should keep them plugged in continuously, or if it would be safer to unplug them at night or when it is too cold for any natural melting to occur. My concern is that if I plug them in and then un-plug them I am simply melting the ice along the bottom of the roof and then allow it to re-freeze and build up again. But I am worried about the risk of fire or other damage if I leave them plugged in. This is probably a wierd question, but I would appreciate any advice.

Old 12-21-00, 10:44 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
You should leave them pluged in as long as there is snow on the roof. A fire is not going to start on the roof if you have one. you need to make sure the cord leading to the plug is new and that the plugs fit tight in to each other, check the plugs for heat as you go along if they seem to be too hot you may not have any snow on the roof to melt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: