Ice with water staining ceilings

Old 12-28-10, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice with water staining ceilings

Hi all,

OK, Yes I already know about insulation and all that. I have a house that was not designed well. Now that we are using the living space in the attic we have water issues. I have been using a roof rake and getting off what I can but ice dams are a problem still.

I need information on a good roof cable heating system and what I need to know. A google search is not getting me what I am looking for. I will need to hire someone to do it, but I need info. I am able to do my own electrical work if needed.

At this time I can more afford the heating cable than reroofing and adding insulation to enclosed spaces (already had the West side reinsulated, which has helped a little -but not enough). The dormer roof is also flat, which adds to the issues.

Anyone in Minnesota that knows someone reputable in the Northern suburbs would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-10, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i'm nowhere near an expert but the first winter i moved in the house, i had water leaking in my bedroom. thankfully hechingers was going out of business and i got roof tape very cheap. As you are aware, it's not a permanent solution to your problem but it sure is cheaper and easier - well except for your electric bill potentially - what i did was put the tape in a U pattern going both up about 1ft of the roof as well as some hanging into the gutter then of course at the downspout i let the wire hang down inside it a bit. there may be a better way to do it but i guess that would be on the packaging.

i'm assuming home depot and lowes have the same kind of roof tape so except for $$$, it's as easy as running an extension cord from an outside outlet to the roof tape. of course with the correct rating etc.

i did notice one thing also, when a big storm was forecast, i think it helped that i plugged it in to help prevent the issue in the first place vs waiting for 20 inches of snow on the roof and expecting it to melt.