New roof questions - Cedar Shakes to Asphalt - Minnesota

Old 01-12-11, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New roof questions - Cedar Shakes to Asphalt - Minnesota

Hello,

Bought a short sale home (2800 sq ft split level) that was not well taken care of. Had large Ice dams after 2+ feet of snow and water in house. Were going to repair roof but old felt and cedar is shot.

Step one - go from ~4" of blown fiberglass to R49 with blown fiber. Also add chutes as it seems right now insulation is in the soffits or not venting very well.

Question 1 - While putting on new asphalt roof should I go with ridge venting or turbines? I'm hearing different things from different good roofers.

Question 2 - I was burned by Certainteed in my old house with 25 yr shingles that lasted ~12 years before curling up. Do you prefer the Corning or GAF Arch. Shingles?

Thanks, I plan to fix the insulation first then do a new roof in the next 2 weeks. (Roofing during the winter does not seem right but I want no more water damage issues)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-11, 08:58 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Roof and Insulation

I would do the roof before the insulation. No need to take a chance on getting the new insulation soaked.

Old 01-12-11, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I agree with wirepuller on switching the order

Just my opinion but I like ridge vent

Old 01-14-11, 07:31 AM
Ok, good input. I will be re-insulating after the new roof.

What does anyone think about putting in a metal roof in the Upper Midwest?

Old 01-14-11, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I think it's a great idea, I'm starting to see more and more of them

Old 01-14-11, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If installed correctly by someone who knows what they are doing...quality metal roofs can outlast most homes. They do have some quirks I think, so be aware.

Old 01-15-11, 03:23 AM
Use owens Corning shingles. I had an issue with there warranty and they were GREAT about it. They sent reps out to look at the roof and made it right. DO NOT USE GAF!!!!!!! I had an issue with their product caused $12k in damage and they did nothing. GAF bought ELK, so dont buy ELK either, although while independent, ELK was great about there warranties too.

Old 01-22-11, 02:41 PM
Thanks rd and everyone else.

Our plan is to go Owens Corning Duration and add ridge venting.
After that job is done we will be adding chutes and making sure the soffits are all clear then adding cellulose to R49.

After talking to a real estate agent I am not considering Metal roofing due to the area we are in.

Next week it should be in the 20's so a great week to put a roof on!

Old 02-09-11, 08:59 PM
The only problem with roofing in the winter are the nail guns. If the temperature is too cold below 40 the shingles are crispy and the nail heads bust through the shingles. Some contractors will tell you they adjust the compressors to compensate for this and in April the Easter Bunny will also be here.

Certainteed did have a big problem with their shingles curling they have since corrected this. There is a warranty war going on now with all major manufacturers. You'll see that all of their 30 year warranty products are now lifetime. My opinion ridge vent is superior to turbine vents. Another good product that is on the market now are synthetic underlayment's. If you're putting on a lifetime shingle you don't want 15 or 30 pound felt that lasts five or 10 years as an underlayment.

Old 02-10-11, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I will give it a good inspection when it warms up to make sure all looks good. The job went very well and looks good. On to the insulation job and fixing the water damage from the ice dam!

Regarding Certainteed, their defective shingles cost me to put on a whole new roof on my old house over 10 years early and they offered to give me like $500 that I haven't seen yet? That is a terrible company and I will never purchase from them again.