Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Cutting scissor truss to make gable roof into "winged" gable?

Old 01-20-11, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

About 2 years ago we had the roof completely replaced (framing and all) on an outbuilding we have. It's a gable style roof with nice architectural shingles on scissor trusses, about 30ft x 20ft.

Because of bad planning on my part, the grade on one side of the building needs to be brought up about 2ft and this makes the wall about 6' tall, too short for a door. So we have a few options...

- Raise the roof. We won't get clearance from the zoning board to do 2 feet since the peak is already close to the limit.

- Remove and re-build the roof using a different slope or a truss that allows us to have different wall heights from side to side. This seems like it would be a complete throwaway of what's already there and my wife will put me out for not thinking ahead. :-|

- Somehow?? cut the trusses so that the slope changes midway down the roof, allowing one wall to be built higher. I've seen this before and believe it's called a winged gable. A new section of roof would need to be made, but everything else would be saved.

Any thoughts on which way would be cheapest and/or recommended? I know you can't cut trusses, so any changes would need to be approved by the manufacturer. My gut feeling is that the carpentry work to make the winged-gable from the scissor truss would be more than to build it from scratch. Ugh.

Another thought is to carve out one or two openings where there will be doors instead of the whole side. The wall will look pretty small and weird though.

Thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-11, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Why do you need to raise the grade?????

Why are you putting a door there then?? You have 3 other walls....

Put the door in then and have it below grade and put up small retaining walls...

Yahoo! Image Detail for - http://www.norwichnursery.com/jobs/brian_walls1.jpg

Mike NJ

Old 02-10-11, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are correct--don't cut trusses. If you take two trusses and slide them transversely so that they are next to the adjacent trusses, you will have almost a 6' wide space without a truss with double trusses on each side. Support the roof with 2x framing at 2' o/c spanning between the double trusses. At the door you can make a small gable that will give you the required door headroom. Make sure that you provide for a continuous top plate across the opening. A PE can detail this so that you avoid problems.