Can I install a drip edge on this roof myself?

Old 01-25-11, 03:37 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I install a drip edge on this roof myself?

We're having to repaint some weathered fascia. I've bought the sander and am ready to paint, but my dad said that unless we get a drip edge installed here, it will just happen again. But everything I see online about installing drip edges seem to be geared toward shingle roofs.

Looking at the picture, does it look possible for us to install a drip edge ourselves? Or do the tiles need to be completely removed, a bigger job than we can do?

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6439/fasciacloseup.jpg

Any other suggestions about preventing weathering?

Old 01-26-11, 02:35 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In order to do it properly you have to remove the first row of tile and get the drip edge under the mop down. Cant say I ever seen a tile roof without drip edge........ somethings not right . I have seen some tile layed directly over 30# felt and if that is the case here you dont want to tamper with the tile because you will more than likely create a bunch of leaks moving the tiles around. I would prime and paint the wood and just give a fresh coat every couple years. That fascia had to take many years to peal like that.

Old 01-26-11, 05:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Using an oil base exterior wood primer followed by 2 coats of a quality exterior latex paint [preferably one with a sheen] should give the longest lasting wear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: