Removing a roof overhang

Old 12-23-00, 10:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We are going to put a Four Seasons sunroom on the back of our house.The size is 10 x 20. We are doing a wall out design,with a hidden beam. Our roof over hang is about 3 feet,and we need to remove 20 feet or it. Also there will be a small dormer to give the sunroom roof some added hight.My sunroom rep quoted me around $5000 to do this. This seems very high to me. Should I get other bids.Is this something a doityourselfer can do. Maybe with the help of friends that know what their doing. Any thoughts would very helpful. This has been a very useful site. Thanks for the help

Old 12-23-00, 11:06 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exactly what is the $5,000 quote for? Just to remove the roof overhang? Or does it also include the dormer? If it is just to remove the overhang, the guy is soaking you. But if it includes the dormer, AND THEIR WARRANTY AGAINST LEAKS, then let them have at it! You may be able to save a little if you shop the price, but that sunroom is a $25,000 to $30,000 investment. I wouldn't want to have to listen to 2 different contractors lay the blame on each other in case there is a leak.

Old 12-31-00, 01:00 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
Lefty is right but you can get a quote for the sun room from other manufactures and or installers. This is the only good way to see if all is as they say it is. This takes time and is well worth the effort when done you will know as much about what is going on as the contractor this puts you back in control of your job...

Old 12-31-00, 09:26 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with Some Help. Get quotes for the job from one or two ther contractors before you sign anything. If you're anywhere in No. CA, e-mail me. I'll get you a quote.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: