vaulted ceiling-inspectors cant agree

Old 01-29-11, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry vaulted ceiling-inspectors cant agree

i am building a room on the back of my house, it is 11x16. the 11 ft side is nailed to the outside of the house and extends 16 ft from the house. at the point where it connects to the house, the ceiling is vaulted. the vaulted ceiling then extends approx 13ft then it turns into a hip roof to allow for a true bay window. at the point where the hip roof starts which is approx 13 ft from the house the ceiling becomes a flat roof and the walls are tied together with a 2x4....there are no cross ties the rafters are 2x6 and the ridge is a 2x6 with a 1x added below to fill the gap for the rafters,,,1 inspectors says add cross ties and i will over look the r 19 insulation in the roof and the other inspector says he will pass it???these guys are county inspectors and i am getting conflicting info from them....i leave in central nc and we get snow maybe 3 times a year and its usually 3=5 inches..will this work? by the way, during consruction i found out my framer was an inspector that was moonlighting and worked with the other 2 inspectors. so a rowan county inspector built it, an other gave it a partial pass due to i needed to add the 1x to the bottom of the ridge and the other inspector said he wasnt passing nothing without cross ties. you would think these guys had a clue,,,,,,,,local government...maybe obama could help me lol metal roof 8/12 pitch

Last edited by barber; 01-29-11 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-11, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are asking inspectors to make a judgement that only an engineer can handle. If you have inclined rafters pushing against the top of a wall, you need something to restrain them. A tie piece connecting the bottoms of the rafters is usually how it is done. If you have a cathedral ceiling then you have to engineer another method of restraint.