help! Roof leaking all over!

Old 01-30-11, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help! Roof leaking all over!

I had a new roof put on last summer after buying this ranch house thinking I didn't have to worry about leaks for awhile. This winter though, we've had five snowstorms so far and the roof started leaking in living room. I went on roof and chopped off all the ice dams and cleared all snow and ice for four feet up from the edges. Today the sun was out and I noticed that new ice was forming on the cleared shingles and a new ice dam forming further up where the snow line on the roof was. The problem is now worse than before. It is leaking on my son's bed and I am getting water stains on most of the rooms of my house. I looked up in the attic but the roof boards seem to be wet all along the furthest edges where i can't place buckets. it seems cold up there so it doesn't seem like my heat is melting the ice. i just don't understand why it is coming in so much after i cleared that whole 4 foot swath of snow and ice.I am going to try to get one of those big push snow shovels and push alll the snow off the roof but is that normal to have to go to that extreme? It is supposd to snow on wednesday again. HELP!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-11, 01:14 PM
It sounds like poor ventilation in the attic and it is too warm and moisture cannot escape out so it accumulates and melts snow. You may even have some vents for fans, plumbing, etc that add moisture to the attic space.

Ideally, your attic should be about the same temperature as the outside and not warmer unless you have a "hot roof", which requires insulation immediately under the roof sheathing and complete air sealing, which is very difficult.

Dick

Old 01-30-11, 04:54 PM
Well I am having an insulation guy call tomorrow. I am going to see about an extra layer of insulation. We have the minimum required on a house built in 1965. I will ask about improving the ventilation too. When they did the new roof they put a ridge vent but that gets covered by snow. There is a vent at the end of the attic and soffits but I don't know how adequate they are. This seems to happen though on warmer days when the temp goes over freezing. I don't see the leaks on freezing temp days. Wouldn't my attic melt the ice on any day if it wasn't venting or insulated adequately? meanwhile me and my son got up there and shoveled all the snow off the roof.Tomorrow i will put up nylon stockings with ice melt in them. Next snowstorm I will see if the stockings create drain channels and stop the leaks. If not we will have to shovel the roof off again and I will have to see about better insulation and vents.

Old 02-09-11, 08:50 PM
The gable end vent on your house should be blocked off so you do not short-circuit the Ridge vent. Also check to see if insulation is blocking the soffit vents.

Old 02-10-11, 07:28 PM
I second the advice to make sure the soffits are not blocked. You can buy rigid foam inserts which keep an open flow of air from the soffit. Do you have can lighting fixtures which are not designed for high heat and therefore can't have insulation over the top? Do your kitchen and bath vents leak into the attic? How about the door or trap door to the attic?

Too late, but WR Grace Iceshield is a great product. It goes down before your shingles along the perimeter of the roof. It provides a secondary line of defense against ice dams because it is self healing.