Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

"Frozen Waterfall" Under Gutters backing up into my house!

Old 02-05-11, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I imagine this frozen waterfall is related to the ice dams above? It is odd that the opposite corner (same sun exposure) does not have that. It is strange that this formation is behind the gutters! It is seeping into the home in various spots-especially at night when I would think it would be refreezing.

Would having the dams removed solve this piece of the puzzle? Thanks!

edit Links to pics below.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-11, 11:25 AM
Do you have the dreaded gutter covers?

They can promote promote clogging of flow from frost and then prevent the sun from keeping the water flowing away and down a downspout (over-sized in possible) since the available sun could not help. - Possibly a local cold weather climate situation.

Several townhouse associations have removed all the the gutter protection in our area because it caused a minor build-up that prevented natural drainage.

Dick

Old 02-10-11, 08:15 PM
Yes, it is due to the ice dam above. It is not always sun exposure, but can be caused by heat sources (lights, insulation gaps) in the attic that cause local melting of snow. I assume that you don't have self healing membrane (ice and water shield) installed at the eave or valley? Long handled aluminum "rakes" designed for sweeping snow off of eaves can help (but not once you have the 6" of ice creating the dam).

Old 02-11-11, 02:51 PM
More than likely you have a clogged gutter that is not allowing the melting snow to drain and water always follows the easiest path. But if that's not it then here we go...

Here's a couple of stupid questions but I have to ask:

Is the roof angle different than the other "the opposite corner (same sun exposure) does not have that."? Is the section you are having problems with flatter is what I'm asking?

And...

It looks like from the pictures that the section you are having trouble with is caused from a roofing valley. Was there any signs of leakage during the summer months when you got rain? If so, I would contact the company that installed your roof. You probably have a 5 year installation warranty.

Old 02-15-11, 09:07 AM
i cant view the picture here at work but i can tell you that if you have water coming in, just hook up your hose to your hot water at your washer and get out there with some gloves and melt it all away! i had to do that the 1st winter i was in my house..i bought heat tape and installed it that spring. even today ill go out and plug in that tape if they call for ice storms or serious snow. it's worth the high electric bill.

this is my 1st winter with gutter guards so after reading the above comment, i cant wait to take a peek in the attic and see if anything has come in this year.