crooked rafters

Old 02-08-11, 10:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
crooked rafters

Re-doing soffits and siding on my 30 year old, 1,500 sq. ft. home, in Houston, Texas. Found this on the two side I've worked on, so far.

How much of a panic should I be in? What's the best course of action?

We had Hurricane Ike pass through 2 1/2 years ago, but, this is also what Ned Flanders referred to as affordable tract housing.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-11, 11:49 PM
Are the rafts bent on their axis or are they just displaced by something?
Can you just hammer or pull them back in place (they look very heavy) and secure them with some of those metalic "L"'s that have screw holes on them? Something like this:

http://www.morleyathletic.com/images/BM13336.jpg

Old 02-09-11, 10:05 AM
Are these rafters, or just rafter tails? Yes, the out of plane movement reduces their capacity. Should you panic? Depends on what the demand on the rafter (or rafter tail) is compared with the capacity.

Code requires blocking at the rafter support to prevent this. At a minimum you will want to install blocking to prevent further movement.

Since the broad eave is subjected to both uplift and downward forces I'd get a flashlight and a mirror and see what's happening up under the roof.

Old 04-03-11, 09:56 AM
Back on track with this. Three roofers came out, none was concerned, but two suggested we contact our insurance company due to wind damage. Not sure what the deal with that is but, we did have an adjuster come out. A structural engineer, or something like that, will be here tomorrow morning.

No tails on the roof, single piece of lumber.

Old 04-05-11, 05:47 PM
Guy came out, says it's been crooked from day one but would not give me any straight answers. Tried to ask questions in a "non-conflict of interest" type of way, but guess I didn't ask the questions the "right" way.

Old 04-05-11, 07:50 PM
The problem started on the day the house was framed. NO BLOCKING above the wall (from the top of the plate to the bottom of the sheathing) to hold the rafter tails upright and prevent them from twisting. I would be suprised if it has anything to do with wind (not even Ike!!). It's just wood twisting as it dries, and nothing to prevent it from happening. Good luck with the insurance and a structural engineer! (They'll probably both tell you the same thing I just did!!)

Old 04-06-11, 06:31 AM
So long as the roof isn't going to cave in on us, that's works for now, lol.

Is there anything we should have done or leave it as is and keep moving forward with the exterior upgrades?