Shingle Repair

Old 03-01-11, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shingle Repair

Hello,
My neighbors noticed some shingles lifting recently on the tops of our gables. I went to the home store last night to get some shingle repair tar but noticed that this has to be applied at 70 degrees or higher. I also looked at a different type of caulk type repair for roofing but that was 40 or higher. I live in ND and currently it is about 10. I will be lucky in the next month to month and half to get to the mid 30's. By that time i am afraid the singles that have lifted will all be gone and I will have a bigger problem.

Can I apply this stuff in these temps? If not, any suggestions on ways to repair these shingles in these temps?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-11, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Keep the material warm until just before use. Use a blow dryer on high (or a heat gun, but be careful with those) until the shingles warm up where they are bent. Apply the sealant and push the shingles down, set bricks on it to hold it in place for a few days. Keeping the bricks warm or even warming them in an oven on very low would help also, though probably not really needed.

Old 03-01-11, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Perfect. I will give that a shot. Thanks for the reply.