Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Where can I find the materials to fix this flat roof covering?

Old 03-07-11, 11:12 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

What are the materials called and what's the general process? I believe I'm more than capable, just don't know what the terms/materials are.

Had a leak inside, went on the roof and saw this. The black 'paper' underneath has since blown away. Looks like I need the black paper type material, then the 'tar mats' material, then some sealant for the perimeter?

thx! Strapped for cash, but what should this cost me to fix "if" I contracted it out?

Old 03-07-11, 07:44 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello! I Had a similar problem. Basically I had some bitumen membranes covering the roof and then those got unstuck eventually with the result of a lot of leaks. Then I removed all of them an I applied a coat of a sealing material on the roof.

Its not very easy to fix this roof by your self using bitumen membranes as you will probably need a blowtorch in order to weld them and stick the bitumen membranes on the surface as well as some skill using that (blowtorches are probably much more dangerous to work with then a paint roller ). Not to mention that the membranes are very heavy (heavier in higher thicknesses probably, higher thickness also provides better weldings I think) and they are also unhealthy to work on (lots of bad stuff are produced whilst welding them) so you will probably need a respirator. I was opted for a price of 12-15euro per meter^2 (here in Greece) from a contractor with a very good quality Elastomer-Polymer Bitumen membrane, this one:

Valli Zabban S.p.A. - Elastogum S minerale PL

But the actual price of the membranes is much less. Cant remember how much but I think about a third of the price the contractor told me per meter^2.
Have you thought of using just an elastomeric coating instead? Whats underneath the membranes?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: