no gutter use catch basin

Old 03-15-11, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
no gutter use catch basin

Hi,

I have a house with two small triangle peaks. Between the peaks (about 4 feet) there are no gutters installed so all the rain falls straight down into the dirt foundation. I'm guessing this is the reason why my sump pump is working hard even after it hadn't rained for over 3 days. These peaks are located in the middle of the house so I would like to prefer not to have a gutter running down the middle of the house.

My plan was to install some type of catch basin (20x20in) that will catch the water when it hits the basin grate. I will tap into my sump pump discharge pipe so the water in the basin has somewhere to go.

I am having trouble finding a basin that is not too deep so I don't have to dig a big hole and so my piping wouldn't have to be pitched so deep. Ideally, I would like to have a grate with a pvc pipe behind it but I can't find a grate for a wide enough area to catch the water that falls. I believe a 20x20in area would catch the water.

Does anyone have any other ideas or reasons why this may not work? Thanks.

Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-11, 05:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Doug, welcome to the forums! Terminology has different meanings in different parts of the country, and I am having a difficult time envisioning what you have. Could you post a couple of pictures of your roofline (not closeups) so we can see what you see? http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html Thanks.

Old 03-16-11, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is a picture of the house. The red circle shows where there is not gutter. If you're looking at it from the top of the house the space there is in an upside down "U" shape.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1125998...eat=directlink

Hopefully the pic will clear things up.

Old 03-21-11, 05:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Sorry for the delay in answering. Yeah, aside from running a gutter down the front of the house, you don't have much of an option. You will need a large catch basin. There is quite a bit of water run off coming from the roof and those valleys, and you gotta do something with it. I think using gravity to take the water away from the foundation via a catch basin and a drain system would be better. There is too much possibility of overloading your sump if you allow water that is naturally outside to be piped inside.
All in all, you have a lot of digging to do to make this thing work. The only thing that comes to mind is having a custom catch basin with a 4" outlet sealed in. The basin would be probably 18' deep with the outlet set at about 12" from the bottom. That would put the outlet underground to attach to black drain pipe which you will dig away from the foundation, either into a dry well or have it exit discretely into the atmosphere at a lower plane.