Roof Decking - OK to cut?

Old 03-25-11, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof Decking - OK to cut?

Hi,

I have a question about the roof decking on my "L" shaped ranch house. The decking runs the full length of the house, even on the section of the roof where the two parts connect. This extra decking cuts off access to a section of the attic where the two parts meet. My question is does this decking serve any structural purpose and would it be ok for me to cut away a section of the decking so I can access the other part of the attic? There is a 1" space in between the decking and I can see through it to the other section of the attic and the decking in this section doesn't appear to serve any purpose. I'm guessing that when the house was built all the decking was delivered at one length and that's why it's on the rafters even where it's not needed. That said, I wanted to get some other opinions before I started cutting anything.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-11, 07:52 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you post some pics to photobucket?

Old 03-28-11, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 211 Posts
IMO you could cut it out, but be sure you don't get too close to where the valley is located. It would be best to only cut out as much sheathing as you need, so that you can gain access. Keep in mind that you may have a valley kit truss package on top of that sheathing, so I'd be careful when you go to cut it out, so that you aren't cutting through the bottom chord of any trusses that sit on top of that sheathing.