Gable Vent Questions?

Old 03-28-11, 07:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gable Vent Questions?

I am having a new roof put on as well as some insulation work. Soffit vents will be added as well as a roof vent and the two gable vents will be blocked off.

My question concerns the gable vents.

In tidying up the attic over the weekend, I noticed that:

* one gable vent screen was torn. These screens do not look easy to work with and I am leery of getting into a project that turns into something bigger than it has to be.

* the other gable vent screen isn't in bad shape but there are old wasp nests on the outside louvers (no sign of insects inside).

Had I not noticed this, no doubt the roofer/insulator would simply block off the vents and it would be as it is . ..

Questions:

1) Would you re-screen and/or patch the screens prior to the gables being blocked off?

2) Do you think it is really necessary to remove the gable vents, clean the louvers and screens prior to being blocked off thus removing the old wasp nests and other dirt and debris? [ looks like a job to do this ]

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-11, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
If you're boarding them up, I don't see the point in replacing the screens. It might be nice to paint the board black before you nail it over the interior side of the vent. That way when you look up there you won't see any bare wood.