Roofing warranty question

Old 03-30-11, 06:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
Roofing warranty question

Okay, sometime fairly soon, next Spring I think, we are going to need to re-roof. Here's the current issue, or at least one that's on my mind. We currently have a solar heating array on the roof that I DIY'd with commercial products about 10 years ago. Obviously I'll have to remove it before the roofing work. I rather doubt it will survive removal and reinstallation, but whether I reinstall or put up something new/different my question is how does a solar installation affect a roofing warranty generally since attaching points would penetrate the surface? My guess would be that if there was a leak/problem near the installation it would not be covered, but what about elsewhere on the roof? Would the entire warranty be void? Just curious; I really like the few extra months of swimming the solar provides.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-11, 06:47 AM
Received 31 Votes on 27 Posts
If your thinking of putting this off the job will end up costing far more to do. The reason being shingle pricing is based on what the price of petrolium is.
I get a notice evey few months from my suppler with price increaces ranging from 5 to 7%. I would at least buy the shingles now and store them in a dry nonsunny area.
They make mounting blocks that go on the roof and mount just like the sewer gas vents boots. There really made for mounting a sattilite dish on the roof to prevent having to drill down through the shingles.
If I had this roof to do I would at least install storm and Ice Shield on that side of the roof so as you mounted the collectors the holes would self seal.

Old 03-30-11, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
Thanks, joe; hadn't even considered the oil/shingle cost question.