cracked roof planking... should i be worried?

Old 04-01-11, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cracked roof sheathing... should i be worried?

i own a house built in 1919 in new england. the roof had been reshingled sometime in the 90's. today i was up in the attic and noticed that one of the sheathing that are over the trusses (that i am assuming might be original) was fractured around a knot and splintered.

there is no water leaking (the water stains appear to be quite old, maybe going back to the last time it was reshingled).

so is this something i should worry about? i know i noticed this before, just never really looked at it up close.

so, i am wondering what my coarse of action should be, how involved is the fix, and how much $$$ i should prepare to spend.

thanks in advance!

Last edited by DiBiaso; 04-01-11 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-11, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I doubt its anything to worry much about. I would check it when you have a heavy rain and see if there are any leaks. It should be replaced or repaired next time you re-roof. You could probably screw plywood to the interior, just make sure the screws don't penetrate the planks into the shingles. Make sure anyone who goes on the roof is aware there is a weak spot there and they shouldn't walk on it.

Old 04-01-11, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for setting my mind somewhat at ease

another thought i had was cutting a section of 2 x 6 the length of between the two trusses, and wedging it in there and screwing or nailing it into place. seems that that would offer even more support (we get an incredible amount of snow here, at one point this past winter there was an easy three feet of snow on the roof), while at the same time allowing me to monitor if there is any water leakage...

Old 04-02-11, 03:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Using a 2x would be my first choice for an immediate repair