Water in basement. Runoff or not? Want to use dye.

Old 04-04-11, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water in basement. Runoff or not? Want to use dye.

I've lived in my house for 3 years and the past 2 springs have had a fairly significant amount of water seep in through the bottom course of block and through the floor up around my effluence pump.

It is not a huge problem so I am taking a methodical approach over time to find the source of the water and rather than tear up my entire yard and/or install some kind of system inside. The basement is walk-out so the water flows in a sheet about 1/4" "deep" and runs out under the door jamb. Also the water is clean so clean up is basically a fan for a few days.

I am trying to find out if the water is from runoff, from some kind of underground river, or rising water table.

I think it is runoff, the yard in the area of the main water entry is not graded properly.

I was thinking a way to test this would be to put some sort of dye in the area of the poor drainage I suspect and see if I can detect it in the basement. My concerns are that the dye will ruin my basement floor, and could find it's way to my nearby well. Does anyone know of a non-toxic product that would work? Or have any tips or suggestions on how to tell where the water is coming from. I was thinking to buy a ton of tonic (with quinine) and pour in on the ground and go down there with a black light the next morning....

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-11, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Turn on the garden hose in the area where the water is coming in and see if that reproduces the problem

Old 04-04-11, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Actually I had not thought of that! But it usually only happens from a LOT of rain, like 3-6" in a 12-24 hour period or so. Takes it awhile to get going, and then awhile to stop, maybe 12 hours lag from the rain starting and stopping. I don't know if I could put that much water on the ground with the hose. I meant once the water starts inside I could throw some tablets on the ground. Thanks for the tip, I may try it. Can't hurt.