New shingles or metal roof??

Old 04-17-11, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New shingles or metal roof??

Our roof is around 20-21 years old and is breaking off way too often. We have had to replace s few shingles here and there over the years as we see a little more wind here where I live but the last year or so we have been pummeled with severe storms to the point that we are losing them now weekly, and most all of my neighbors now have metal ones. We have had several big storms in just the last 3 weeks.....Am sick of it. I have heard these are faster to install but one neighbor of mine who works on roofs some tells me they can have issues with ice and snow....letting the gutters get too much as the ice / snow slides off the roof.
I would appreciate any opinons. I am getting prices for both. I can't do this myself, simply don't have the knowledge but would like a good solid roof over my head.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-11, 05:46 AM
Your current roof is at the end of its lifespan. I don't know what kind of storms you are having, but a new asphalt shingle roof should have no problem holding on in typical winds. i.e no hurricanes.

A metal roof will be more expensive, but last much longer. They are also better for rainwater collection if you have an interest in that. Snow will slide off a metal roof quite easily so you have to keep that in mind and take preventative measures to protect your plants and people coming in and out of doorways. I'm not sure what you mean about gutters. If you keep them low enough, the snow should slide over them onto the ground. If you have ice dams, you need to increase ventilation under your roof.

Old 04-18-11, 06:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Jim, I was contemplating a metal roof as well when my roofing guy suggested I contact my insurance company. She determined the majority of the damage was due to hail, which may be the reasoning behind your failure, with all the storms and all. She was willing to totally tear off the roof, reflash everything, install new architectural shingles, ridge vent, everything for my deductible of $500. OK, so the metal roof is off for another 30 years.
BUT I would recommend a metal roof if you have to start from scratch. Once they are properly installed, they are there. They install snow cleats on the roof to keep snow from sliding down in sheets, so that would be a consideration. Look into the difference, as I think you may be better served (as your neighbors may attest) by a metal one.

Old 04-18-11, 06:44 AM
Your current roof is at the end of its lifespan. I don't know what kind of storms you are having, but a new asphalt shingle roof should have no problem holding on in typical winds. i.e no hurricanes.

A metal roof will be more expensive, but last much longer. They are also better for rainwater collection if you have an interest in that. Snow will slide off a metal roof quite easily so you have to keep that in mind and take preventative measures to protect your plants and people coming in and out of doorways. I'm not sure what you mean about gutters. If you keep them low enough, the snow should slide over them onto the ground. If you have ice dams, you need to increase ventilation under your roof.

Old 04-18-11, 07:16 AM
We have lived there since 94' and although we have had storms before the last 2-3 years have been rough. We had a storm 2 years ago drop baseball sized hail and we have had several with smaller hail, but our roof withstoof much of it, and our neighbors had more issues so ten of them have went to the metal ones. Another neighbor here installs them so he has been busy. I live on top of a small mountain (or large hill, lol) and we get a fair amount of wind regardless of weather. The reason the roof was replaced by previous owner was also hail damage, a few years before we bought it. As a rule, whatever most people in our region get, we get worse. Still, I woudn't liver anywhere else. As I understand it, metal roofs can be installed over the old roof, eliminating disposal....or is that wrong?