trenched gutter downspout

Old 04-20-11, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question trenched gutter downspout

I live in central illinois. For those of you not familiar with the weather here, we have lots of snow and lot of thunderstorms. We recently built a house, moved in couple of weeks ago.

Our neighbors installed trenched down spouts from the gutters. The drains are perforated and goes out about 50 ft from the house. basically drives water away from the house.

This past 2 weeks we had heavy rainfall. Our house has a drain system around the basement. I dont remember what is the right term. It drains the water to the sump under the basement and then its pumped out by the sump pump. The last time we had heavy rain I noticed the sump was on for a long time. So I went down to the basement and I could hear a lot of water draining in to the sump. The contractor confirmed that was from the drain he built around the house. He said it is not any more beneficial to have the trenched gutters. And if we wanted it would cost about $1000.

I am looking for recommendations and experiences from other home owners and experts.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-11, 10:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
He's goofy. Get the water away from the foundation and it will decrease the usage of the sump pump. You can do this yourself and save the $1000. BUT it must be done. His sump pump is second defense. Keeping the water away to begin with is first, and he failed.

Old 04-20-11, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I second that motion. Get the downspouts at least 30 feet away from the foundation. I would suggest solid pipe not perforated. It could be a do it yourself project if you do not mind the digging sloping and gluing together of the pipes. And of course covering it all up afterward. Not knowing the situation of how simple or complex a job it would be I can not reply as to the $1000 cost. Maybe ask the neighbor what his system cost him and if he feels it works well. If you do decide to have it done get a few estimates from contractors and be sure they all agree on the materials to be used and give you a detailed list of materials and work to be done. Do not just hire a guy that says sure I can do it for $1000 and not show you on paper (estimate) how it will be done.

Old 04-21-11, 06:13 AM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
I hear this same lay out all the time. Why would someone plumb all the water that's out side back into the house just to pump it back out side? If that pump fails one time the basement will get flooded.
Go to Lowes or HD and ask where the drain line fitting are. It's Sch. 20 4" (thin) PVC, there's down spout adapters sold in the same area. Your also going to need an elbow for each down spout, You could adapt 4 down spouts for about $100.00 or less in materials.
The hardest part of the whole job will be trying to figure out how to get the long pieces of PVC home.