Beware of the air nailer!

Old 04-23-11, 12:14 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Beware of the air nailer!

Beware of roofers using air nailers with the pressure not set properly. We bought our house in 10/06 and the roof was put on 1-2 years before (nice looking architectural shingles).

Every time the wind blows significantly, I am on the roof renailing or reshingling. Currently, we are getting 50 mph gusts and I can see about 30 shingles in my back yard.

I have found in several instances where the shingles were simply over driven. I am absolutely sick of it.

Needless to say, a new roof is coming in a few weeks, and I will make them hand nail it!

Old 04-23-11, 04:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
If they hand nail, make sure they don't cheat and not use the proper amount of nails per shingle.

Old 04-23-11, 06:30 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Reminds me of all those houses that blew down after Hurricane Andrew in Florida. They had entire rows of nails through the sheathing that missed the rafter completely.

Old 04-23-11, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Not saying that driving nails too deep isn't the entire problem in your case, but in some cases, the shingles are crap too. We used some Certainteed architectural laminated shingles back when fiberglass shingles were being introduced about 10 years back and they were CONTINUALLY blowing off houses, and it didn't matter if they were nailed or stapled. The shingles were just garbage. The tar strips wouldn't glue the bottom of the shingle down and they'd flutter in high winds and eventually start peeling off like a deck of cards, one after the other. On some buildings they even cracked along plywood edges due to expansion and contraction! Pure junk. I think there was a warranty issue with them. They are easily identified by the stairstep on the edges, whereas most other shingles are cut straight on the sides, these had a 1/2" stairstep about 7" from the bottom edge of the shingle to help with alignment.

If your shingles are Certainteed, I'd say there's a pretty good chance you got a crummy batch of shingles with lousy tar strips. That's what allows the wind to catch the bottom edge and lift them in the first place. If the tar strip holds the shingle down, a few overdriven nails won't matter. The fluttering of the shingle will eventually rip it right off the nails, making it "seem" they have been overdriven. And once one shingle is gone, the others will soon follow, even if the nails were NOT overdriven. The shingles were just very brittle and weak- they tear around the nail head easily.

Old 04-24-11, 01:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
As the others have mentioned it probably isn't the nail gun. Be prepared for a high jump in cost if you demand hand nailing. No matter which method you use, check the manufacturer's suggested nailing pattern and make that your priority. The ones we had installed via insurance a couple of years ago called for 5 nails per shingle. Wifey listened for 5 hits per shingle all day long. Slow day for her, I guess. She did bring out tea for them, and I had to pay for the extra nails, so all is well.

Old 04-24-11, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I don't think anyone has said it yet...but if you know the manufacturer...I'd call them and ask for a Rep to stop by. If it's shingle failure they may give some compensation...as in replacement!

Be prepared for them to say improper install, but ask for specifics and documentation.

Old 05-23-12, 08:07 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sadly, I did not see this latest response last year...... I actually did inquire with the MFG (IKO) and found that there was a class action suit against them as the shingles were faulty. However, the time to get an adjuster and an investigation completed would have my new roof put on in the fall or this spring, not to mention that the story goes that if they found even one shingle nailed improperly, they would toss the claim out. So, I put in a claim with my homeowners insurance and they covered about 80% of the cost, due to the wind damage.

Now the new roof has been on a year and I have zero issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: