Helping a neighbor with carport roof.

Old 05-10-11, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Helping a neighbor with carport roof.

Ok..here's the background....
Neighbor has a 12 x 45 "carport" roof over part of his side driveway. Was there when he moved in about 8-9 yrs ago he said. Has a very low slope..maybe 3" going away from the house (the short side). Has roll roofing installed (like shingles only in 3x30' rolls?). No overlap on the edge (laid flush to edge of roof), small dripedge (1 1/2"?) Lots of plywood decking damage in 2 areas (prob 4 sheets total), just totally warped and falling apart. Decking popped up and naturally roofing nails also popped out.

He asked if I would put some sealant (like Henry's?) on it and got recommendations from the local hardware guys. $250 for a 5 gal can...2 required.

I told him I would, but wasn't sure it would help...then finally said...no...I just can't do that in good conscience. Told him I would rip off the old, repair the decking where it was really bad and put on new roll roof. Will prob need new dripedge I imagine.

I know this isn't the best way. My patio of about the same age has some sort of thick glued rubber membrane and a chemical coating and it has no leaks or damage. He isn't cheap, but he's not going to pay someone $1500. I'm basically doing it for free (and maybe $100, beer and food...lol). Quick online pricing shows maybe 6 rolls of roofing at about $50 each ($300), 5 sheets ply at $20 ($100), fasteners $50. He trusts me to do an adequate job, doesn't have a timeline or expect miracles. Wish he had asked 3 yrs ago when I was more motivated and didn't have as bad knees as now....lol

Remember...we're pretty high and dry here..very occasional heavy rain, couple of days of light snow. Most of it blows from the north...at least that's the way it comes down, so it wouldn't be blowing under the seams. And our houses are closest on this side, so block that area in pretty well.

Don't know whether I'll put tar paper down, figured it wouldn't hurt, but will it really help?

Ringshank nails for the decking or screws? Will be hand nailing, I don't have a gun for that.

Bead of sealant at the overlap? What type? Reg black roof tar stuff or some sort of PL?

Seal the exposed nailheads?

Hmmm doing a little more research...should I maybe be looking at the self adhering stuff like GAF Liberty? Looks a lot more expensive though and seems to require 2 layers?

I've done some roofing but only with 3 tab shingles....

Suggestions, hints, watch out fors? Pictures available later if desired...

Thanks

Old 05-10-11, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
What...no replies? Jeez..what are you people doing...working real jobs?! LOL

Old 05-10-11, 02:29 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll chime in then even though I don't have a lot of advice for you.

Put the tar paper down. In a recent thread this was discusses a bit and it is worth it. I don't know the going price of tar paper, but it isn't very much money for insurance if the roof gets a tiny leak down the road.

I prefer screws over nails any day, but they do cost more than nails.

I would definitely seal any exposed nail heads. I'm not sure if you should have any of those anyway.

Doesn't this roll type roofing have an adhesive backed version? Maybe that would be the way to go.

That's the best I could do for you.

Old 05-10-11, 02:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Any consideration being made to change it to a metal roof? The extension to my living room had an almost flat roof with rolled roofing - seems like I was always up there patching leaks I finally reframed that section of the roof and installed metal roofing [matched the rest of the house] and haven't had a leak since

work a real job would I then get real pay

Old 05-11-11, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Don't think he'd like metal roof...and wouldn't really match with the house very well (stucco with terra cotta tile roof). Our choices here are pretty limited w/o special ordering also.

Went and looked a bit closer yesterday and realized, may want to skip the paper underneath. Seems like I would want the roofing to seal to the ply? No?

Old 05-11-11, 08:58 AM
D
I poked around on the web a bit on how to install this type of roofing. Seems like you need to slather the back side of the rolled roofing with a ton of roofing cement. It does seem like no tar paper because of that.

Old 05-11-11, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Was that for the shingle looking type stuff or for the build-up roof? Could you maybe point me to what you found? Couldn't find it even on th GAF site.

Old 05-11-11, 11:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If I remember correctly, the rolled roofing that was on my roof was just nailed on with the nail heads and the seams smeared with black jack. I don't remember if there was any felt under it when I tore it off.

If you need to tar under it, get the roller grade tar, a big nap roller cover and roller pole. Either keep the bucket in the sun or thin it a little to make it roll better. You'll also want plenty of paint thinner to clean yourself up with

Old 05-11-11, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Ack! I really hope thats not what it needs (and was more like what you had mark)....
Gonna be bad enough lifting 85# rolls up there...even with wifeys help (yeah...she said she'd help!).

If he wanted to spend a grand, I'd probably just ice and water shield the whole thing then put the roofing on.

Old 05-11-11, 12:41 PM
D
I searched "how to installed rolled roofing". The few pages I looked at had two versions on how to install it. Here is a link to the search results: how to install rolled roofing - Yahoo! Search Results

Old 05-25-11, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Just wanted to give a bit of an update...
Things went smooth, but very slow. I guess I'm getting older quicker than I thought. I did have to make sure I kept it somewhat weather resistant since we had some threats of rain. So...working just one part of the job each day since last Thursday... 3 hrs to rip off dripedge, same amount next day to pull old roofing. Wifey and shovel took care of most nail pulling pretty quickly. Took even longer with both wifey and neighbor helping to knock old decking out (not because of them...just working overhead with a sledge to knock 'em loose beat my shoulders and back to death). 4 hrs to cut and install new decking on old out of square framing. Took a day to relax and let my swelling hands recover (hey..at least Rapture didn't happen with job 1/2 done), then took me almost 4 hrs to install the new dripedge (couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do corners with the D style). Planned to install new roll roofing today...but had some running around to do and now the wind is picking up (and its getting hotter)....maybe I'll just get the rolls up there later and start early tomorrow. Neighbor went to Phoenix for 5 days anyway.

Heres some pics, wish I had a closeup of the rotted blown out areas. Also, just so ya know, some things go quicker and easier, so I included a pic of the grape arbor/pergola I built last fall in 2 days.

Old 05-25-11, 03:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
"I guess I'm getting older quicker than I thought"

I hear you loud and clear My mind says it shouldn't take too long but my body doesn't seem to cooperate

Be sure to mind how much time you spend in the sun! I took my tractor over to my youngest son's place to move some slate rock and try to prevent the creek from getting any closer to his house and septic system. The plan was to bring my tractor home saturday - no more than I got done today, I don't know if I'll be done by then

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: