roof without any felt

Old 05-10-11, 08:47 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
roof without any felt

The past storm we had some leaks in the roof. I inspected the 5 year old roof on this home we bought 3 years ago and found that there is no felt paper under the shingles. The last owner (who was a contractor) shingled the roof without first putting down felt or ice sheild. The question here is I know that I have to reroof the home but do I lay down felt paper over the shingle that are there now or just reshingle over the old shingles. I know that I should just rip the roof and start fresh but I am disabled and I must do this job myself because lack of funds. It would just be easyer to just go over whats there then to rip it first. Any suggestion? I need all the help I can get here. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-11, 07:51 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's pretty pathetic.^^^ Nice contractor!

Old 05-13-11, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
If you can shingle a roof you can tear the old one off. I would want to see what kind of damage the missing tar paper did to the sheathing under the shingles. Tearing off an old roof is easier than shingling. Just get a flat forked tool like you use in the garden and start up at the top.

Old 05-13-11, 11:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 279 Posts
Ya, I wouldn't want to leave the old shingles up there either. The biggest issue with a tear off is disposal of the old shingles. A little more work now should result in a longer lasting roof