Attic Soffit Vent Repair

Old 05-17-11, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic Soffit Vent Repair

I have two repairs that I have to make and was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I need to repair one of the soffit vents in my attic. I already caught one squirrel and last night Iím pretty sure I heard something else in my attic. Iím not sure if the noise that I heard last night was a squirrel, but sounded a lot heavier this time around. So it might be something bigger than a squirrel.

I also have an issue with birds entering my attic through a small hole right above the soffit vent, where the gutter and roof meet. As far as I can tell, the birds are only living in the soffit vents.

I was thinking about repairing the soffit vent with some chicken wire from the inside and possible some type of putty for the hole. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-11, 08:43 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Repair

Can you post some photos so we can give you better suggestions?

Old 05-17-11, 08:53 AM
Yes, but I won't be able to post then until this afternoon when I get home from work. I have to check the cage trap in my attic anyway.

Old 05-17-11, 05:19 PM
Ok I was able take some photos. I checked the cage trap and it was empty, so it's not squirrels. I didn't see any new dropping either.

Looks like I have to repair both sides. This is the left side of my house that needs to be repaired.

This is the right side of my house that needs to be repaired. i believe it'll need to be repaired in the exact area as the left side.

This is a close up view of the right side of the attic that birds are entering the soffit vent area of my attic. I had no clue the holes were this big.

This is on the side of my house to the right of my fireplace. I think this is how the squirrel was entering my attic.

This is a closeup view of the hole from the outside.

This is a photo from the inside of my attic. I couldn't see the hole from the inside, but there was another hole on the opposite side of the fire place. Maybe some sort of passageway? Since I wasn't able to get to the soffit vents, I think i will have repair the hole from the outside.