Fascia board not flush with decking

Old 05-21-11, 09:38 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fascia board not flush with decking

I replaced all the fascia boards to prepare for new shingles and guttering. The deck line is not level due to a garage add-on many years ago. I kept the fascia boards level at the bottom of the boards all around the house and now there are some places where the boards extent upward beyond the edge of the decking by as much as 3/4 inches. The trusses are rough sawn timbers and not uniform in width at the end resulting in a wavy edge, which complicates my problem.

I thought of ripping some 1x4's with a taper up-slope, but I don't think that will work as the dimension of the fascia extending up beyond the decking varies.

At this point, I am looking for some sort of spreadable patch that can be applied with maybe an 8-inch taping knife. The patch must be able to accept nails for the drip edge, etc.

Any help or suggestions ? Thanks

Bud

Old 05-21-11, 10:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
When this comes up, we usually have to bevel the top of the fascia board to match the roof fall. Is that an option?

Old 05-21-11, 10:18 AM
B
Had not thought of beveling the fascia board. Do you lay anything down on the decking to help bring the shingles more on a flush line with the top of the fascia board ? The valley in those spots has me concerned. It is only on the back side of a hip roof, and maybe 20 feet or so of the trouble spot. Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-21-11, 10:25 AM
B
I forgot to mention, the fascia board is 1x6

Old 05-21-11, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not sure what you mean by bringing it in line. The bevel will be cut at the same angle as the roof pitch, and the shingles will just fall right over the top of it. Trying to figure where a "hip" roof has a "valley". Do you have a sub roof line on back?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: