Water seeping into basement

Old 05-24-11, 05:16 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
Water seeping into basement

Hi. I have some water seeping into my basement. Water is seeping through the cinder blocks directly under my sump pump and radon tubing that goes outside and the water is collecting, and then puddling out, where the floor and wall meet .

Apparently the basement has been waterproofed over ten years ago (I can't find any paperwork though). I get the feeling that the leak has to do with the sump pump which is in the basement floor and goes through the wall to under the deck and dumps the water pretty close to the house. I can look (on the outside of the deck wall) and visibily see an area where the dirt is not graded at all but rather creating a big hole. There is large gravel/stone there as well.

Does it make sense for me to do the following to try and fix the sitaution: 1) get under the deck, dig a couple feet down to look at where the sump pump goes through the wall and fix any cracks or openings around the pump piping coming through the wall; 2) then regrade the dirt under the deck and finally 3) extend the pvc piping out to the far edge of the deck (away from the house)

Any suggestions? I really feel like I'd try to fix this on my own rather than the huge expense of a waterproofing company. We are having an usually wet Spring.

Thank you for feeback, suggestions or cautions...

Old 05-24-11, 06:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums, again! I answered you in the deck forum, but, yes, you need to gain access under the deck by removing some of the vertical boards and rerouting the exit piping of the sump pump out from under the deck and away from the foundation. Check, also for your downspouts to ensure they are extended away from the foundation as well.

Old 05-26-11, 01:34 PM
J
couple more questions

A friend came over and cut through some of the side boards so we could look under the deck. Indeed, the sump pump discharge pipe is literally sitting right there at the wall. I'm attaching photos at the end.
He also mentioned that he thought we should dig a trench 12" down and extend the pipe away from the house. My questions are:

1 - Is 12" deep enough to avoid freezing in frigid winter weather.
2 - What connector do I use to get the extender pvc piping to the pipe coming out of the wall (see photos below)
3 - what type of pvc piping?
4 - what type of connectors to get the pvc to turn downward to 12" or so. We'd need two turns: one from the pipe coming out of the wall to do down a foot, and then a turn to change directions and go along house.

thanks sooo much - and any other hints would be great!

For some reason the photos are not working. It is a pipe (not pvc) sticking through the wall maybe a couple inches.

Old 05-28-11, 04:44 PM
J
Red face good news

Ended up being good news. When we got under the deck and started digging a little we saw that the underground drainage pipe was there but it had snapped off the sump pump pipe coming out of the wall. It seems as if the land had settled, bringing the pipe down lower and causing the connector pipe to crack off. We got creative and got it hooked back up! That was a relief! thanks for your input!

Old 05-29-11, 04:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Guess I should have read on. Glad you got it fixed. For future reference.
Post pictures as http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: