Thoughts on the new roofing systems to insulate the roof?

Old 06-15-11, 07:57 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on the new roofing systems to insulate the roof?

I heard about new roofing underlayment systems that use a layer of isocyanurate foam with ridges to vent the air so the attic won't get so hot.

I am thinking about something like this for my house because I'm going to replace the roof with concrete tile later this year. My attic currently has zero insulation, but I need to insulate up there. However if I put insulation between the ceiling joists, it will be really hard to do all the electrical/plumbing remodeling work that I plan to do in the next 5-10 years. So these new roofing systems sound attractive.. so I can insulate at the roof level and don't have to put as much insulation in the attic itself that would bury all the wires and pipes and fixtures..

How well do these new roofing systems work? Any particular brands to look at?

Old 06-16-11, 05:59 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You would not insulate the floor of your attic in conjunction with rigid foam on your roof deck. You might be able to add R value underneath your roof sheathing, but I am not sure. Any venting would need to be above the roof insulation. This type of roof typically doesn't have venting. Check out buildingscience.com and look for articles on unvented roof assemblies. Also read about insulation there as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: