Galvanized Gutters

Old 06-27-11, 07:19 AM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Galvanized Gutters

I need to replace 60ft fascia gutters and am thinking I could do the Home Depot galvanized in 20 foot lengths...BUT
I'm wondering about the joints. What was used back in the day to solder the joints? Acid flux solder? Yeah I know all about the seamless stuff available but I still prefer the old school stuff. Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-11, 07:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 140 Votes on 125 Posts
"I know all about the seamless stuff available but I still prefer the old school stuff."

Why?

I don't know how the seams are addressed but an aluminum gutter ought to outlast a steel gutter. As a painter, I've had to sand, patch and paint a lot of old steel gutters that should have been replaced. I've never done anything to aluminum gutters other than clean and paint - if the customer wanted the color changed.

Old 06-27-11, 02:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with Marksr. If you have the technology to NOT have seams, why go back to yesteryear and have inevitable leaks at seams??? No way would I buy gutter "sticks". I have found that by the time I buy the sticks, their associated joints, sealer, rivets, etc. get to the jobsite and wrestle with it, my local gutter guy could be there and gone without a possibility of a leak.