Materials that will not support mold and moss growth

Old 07-05-11, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Materials that will not support mold and moss growth

High all
Are there any mineral coated roof shingles that will not support mold and moss. I spend a few hours a year applying moss killer on parts [shady] of my house and garage. As I recall my inlaws' roof lasted 30 years, without any moss growth, and the replacement roof had moss within two years. What goes? Thanks
Sid

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-11, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm not a roofer, but a poor nail driver, so any advice is suspect at best. I am remodeling an older (1947) log home with chinking. It has a moss roof......well, really it has a slate roof with a long history of moss growth. So obviously slate is not the way to go. Maybe some of the other guys with roofing experience will chime in here. Hopefully there is something that will beat climbing up there and spraying it down.

Old 07-05-11, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Zinc alloy strips should take care of it. Just do a search for zinc moss prevention.

Though I believe the better shingles have some sort of stuff built in.

Old 07-06-11, 05:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 140 Votes on 125 Posts
A lot depends on the environment the roof is exposed to. A roof that is out in the open [no trees or objects that shade the roof] is unlikely to have a moss problem because the dew evaporates in short order. Roofs that stay wet longer are more apt to get moss growth.

Old 07-06-11, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Mossy roof

I agree that the new roofs do ok on the sunny side but some of the roofs have to have sides on the north and west sides. My gripe is with the manufacturers who are using some cheap filler in thier products. Yes I have zinc strips on the shady sides but one strip isn't enough, I might need two or three as the roofs are 10 in 12 and a little bigger than some, and the ridge does'nt get any help unless I slap a zinc strip right on it, it's just anoying. Thanks for your comments, and suggestions.
Sid

Old 07-06-11, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Well of course one strip isn't always enough, depends on slope, sun, and runoff. Shoot...when we were up in WA state and OR...moss and mold were growing on everything. Concrete barriers, asphalt, sidewalks...durn near everything. Sun or not didn't make much diff.

Don't blame the manufacturers...it more likely that the effective products have been legislated out of use.

Old 07-06-11, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 239 Posts
I have Certainteed Landmark AR shingles on my house and after 10 years it's still algae and mold free though my house is located away from the woods so the roof gets good sun & wind exposure. I just checked their website and I don't see a shingle by the same name so they may be no longer available. Apparently they are too effective to be allowed out in public.

If you win the lottery you could always go with a copper roof.