spacing between roof and gutter?

Old 07-10-11, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
spacing between roof and gutter?

in some spots i can barely put my hand in to clean out the gutters so i was just wondering if there is a standard amount of space there is supposed to be?

right now about 75 percent of the gutter in some spots is under the roof and i'm thinking thats not a good thing?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-11, 02:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
Sounds like you have d-style drip edge over your gutters and they also let the shingles hang quite a ways beyond that. Stupid way to roof, IMO.

Different areas of the country seem to have different roofing techniques. Around here, we use "gutter apron" instead of "d-style" which allows full access to the top of the gutter for both cleaning and for runoff.

But no, there is no "standard" but IMO it's kind of crummy if you can't clean out your gutters properly because of the way the roof was shingled and the flashing they chose to use. That just ain't right.

Old 07-11-11, 07:55 AM
i guess i need to post a pic to really be sure...and now that i do have guards up, if i pull out the gutter many of them become junk because i custom cut them

Old 09-06-11, 08:11 AM
http://www.peakproducts.com/download...uctions_v3.pdf

because of some other work i had to do, (removed a small rear porch roof exposing gutter i never had access to before) i'm now looking at this project again. on the above document i see in frame 5A that the shingles are barely hanging over the gutter. if this is correct, then no wonder my gutters cant do their job, my shingle almost covers at least half the gutters width and in some cases a lot more

so is that spacing in 5A ever considered a bad thing? i dont relish taking down gutters and sistering up another fascia board but with all the rain we've been getting i'm a bit tired of all the splashover too..

Old 09-06-11, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Get urself a hook blade for your utility knife and cut the shingles back where they need to be.

Old 09-07-11, 07:57 AM
i dont think i wanna cut my shingles ..i do need to get out and take some pics though..just keep forgetting on weeekends to do it

Old 09-07-11, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Do you want to fix it or just complain about it? LOL! Cut the shingles, I'm tellin ya!!!

Just make sure you cut em straight. (snap a chalk line where you will cut) You can even do it with a big tin snips if you don't care about how sharp the tin snips will be when ur done.

Old 09-18-11, 01:39 PM
Do your gutters still catch the water? If they do then I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can always use a blower to blow the junk out instead of using your hand.

But if that much of the gutter is covered, it sounds like the roof wasn't put on too intelligently. If the shingles are hanging over an inch or more, get out a chalk line and cut them off if you're feeling motivated one day.