Cost of New Roof?

Old 08-01-11, 03:46 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of New Roof?

I own a vacation home in New Hampshire which is in need of a new roof. It is an A-Frame/Ski Chalet style built in 1990 and has approx. 1,200 square feet of living space.

The house is in need of a new roof. The roof itself, which is fairly steep, has approx. 1,150 sq. ft of roof space.

Is there a rule of thumb in estimating the cost of replacing a new roof for stripping existing, materials and labor (price per square?)? I would need the original layer stripped, a waterproof membrane installed as well as the new shingles (good quality/30 year?).

I received a quote of approx $6K which seems high. I plan to get others but it'd be nice to have something in mind to use as a benchmark.

Thanks in advance-

Old 08-01-11, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Quite difficult for us to give estimates, sight unseen, and in different regions of the country. However, you should get at least 3 bids for the work. Yours is obviously not the standard roof, as it will need extra personnel support for the roofers (added cost). The type shingles should be a substantial brand/type to handle the weather. Membranes are added cost. The roofer should have as standard in his estimate: total tear off and haul off and clean the grounds; new flashing around chimneys, etc. ; new drip edge; new ridge venting (if already there), new sub layer like roofing felt (see membrane above).
I had 2600 sf done for about $5600 (thank you State Farm), so in your area, you may not be too far off. Get references while you are at it, and check the roofers out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: