Downspout drainage around concrete

Old 08-03-11, 12:16 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downspout drainage around concrete

I am about to re-do my downspout drainage.
The house is 30 years old, the builder had a bad reputation and they put the downspout into a pipe which is about 2’ long, then buried the pipe, just good enough to fool the inspector.
The red line in the picture shows the original downspout, the water go very close to the house, it’s BAD.

To redo it I am thinking about two options:
1. Install a pipe following the yellow line, since there is concrete that I can’t get around, I have to let the water run onto the concrete, this way is easier but the water won’t go too far away from the house and I don’t know how to hide the outlet. digging underconcrete is hard -- i tried it then gave up.
2. Install pipe following the green line. there’s a small opening in that side of the door, the pipe can go into that opening then runs under the door (dotted line) then can be directed far away from the house. This option is a little more complicated than the first one (have to redo the gutter), and the downspout will be very close to the house. Since downspout usually goes at the corner of the house this also make me not very comfortable – it looks “unprofessional”.

Which option is better? Any comments appreciated!

Please click this link to see the full size image:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0...252520Copy.JPG

Old 08-03-11, 04:00 AM
E
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using the most direct water flow path is always the best approach. There are creative ways to tunnel under a sidewalk also, as well as professionals who can do this for you. It is done all the time, even by cable TV people who need to run their wires under a concrete drive for instance. Start by digging out large enough holes both sides of the sidewalk and while using a strong power washer wand that can be set to a strong water jet stream while a bit messy, will likely work for you. That is what I would try anyway. Another option is to angle cut and sharpen the end of a 4" pvc pipe into something more like a drill bit, and using a pipe wrench twist and 'drill' out a tunnel step by step, emptying out the PVC as needed until you are through. Some of what you remove may also be some of the sand, or gravel base under the concrete, and not hard packed clay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: